Hartford man admits manslaughter in Buckfield crash in 2019


SOUTH PARIS – A Hartford man pleaded guilty on Tuesday to manslaughter in a 2019 Buckfield accident that killed a man from Orrington.

Jarek boyd Oxford County Jail Photo

In a plea deal, Jarek TD Boyd, 29, of 6 Old State Route 140, will spend up to four years in prison.

He and prosecutors agreed to a 10-year sentence, including at least six years suspended.

When Boyd was sentenced in September, prosecutors are expected to argue that Boyd spent four years behind bars; the defense may argue that his incarceration will last less than four years.

When he is released after serving his sentence, he will be on probation for four years, according to the agreement.

According to an affidavit from Oxford County Sherrif MP Donald H. McCormick, John Gabarra, 64, from Orrington died in the crash. He was a passenger in the driver’s side rear of a Buick Lucerne driven by Lisa Gabarra, 61, of Orrington, who was seriously injured in the crash.

Donna Cook, 88, was in the front seat and was seriously injured.

McCormick predicted that Lisa Gabarra and Cook would have months of recovery, rehabilitation and surgery after the accident.

Boyd has been charged with multiple counts, including manslaughter, two counts of aggravated assault, three counts of felony operating under the influence and criminal speed.

But prosecutors have dismissed all of those charges and filed a new complaint earlier this month on a single charge of manslaughter. It was to this charge that Boyd pleaded guilty on Tuesday in Oxford County Superior Court.

Manslaughter carries a penalty of up to 30 years in prison.

No sentencing date has been set for September.

Boyd remains free on $ 5,000 cash bond.

McCormick’s statement indicates that he responded to an accident involving two vehicles at around 1 a.m. on June 16, 2019, in Buckfield, at the intersection of North Whitman School Road and Route 117. He saw a Buick Lucerne white in a ditch of the northbound lane facing the opposite direction. . The two doors on the passenger side of the car had been removed. Black tire tracks on the road suggest a car has been going in circles, he wrote.

A brown Chevrolet Camaro faced south against a utility pole blocking South Whitman School Road. The Camaro suffered “a lot of damage up front,” he wrote.

The utility pole had broken as a result of the crash, McCormick later learned.

Airbags in both cars had inflated, suggesting a “high speed impact” at the time of the crash, he wrote.

An officer at the scene identified Boyd as the driver of the Camaro.

This officer told McCormick that Boyd said he “looked around and saw no oncoming traffic before crossing the intersection.”

Boyd told McCormick that he hadn’t come to a complete stop at the intersection.

McCormick wrote that he could detect the smell of intoxicants in Boyd’s breath.

His eyes were “glassy, ​​bloodshot, and droopy and his speech seemed slow and slow,” suggesting he was intoxicated, McCormick wrote.

Because the accident left one dead, a blood test was required to determine the alcohol content in Boyd’s blood, McCormick told Boyd.

He was taken to Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway where Boyd agreed to have blood drawn, McCormick wrote.

The results of this test showed that its contact with alcohol in the blood was 0.17%, more than double the legal limit of 0.08%.

McCormick wrote that the Camaro was heading southeast on North Whitman School Road when Boyd did not stop at the stop sign and crashed into the driver’s side of the Buick Lucerne, which was traveling on Route 117.

The two cars were totaled.

This damage “would lead a reasonable officer to believe that Boyd’s Camaro was moving at high speed,” McCormick wrote.



Previous Sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson has failed her drug test. This unfair practice hurts too many people.
Next Eleazar assures public there is no cover-up or neglect in war on drugs deaths

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.