A US national was attacked and robbed of €300 after leaving a pub in Dunmanway two years ago and now a 26-year-old man has confessed to the crime.
Patrick Doyle was arraigned in Cork Circuit Criminal Court for robbery and he pleaded guilty to the charge.
Defense attorney Paula McCarthy said the defendant was in custody and she requested that a probation report be prepared on him before sentencing.
“There are dependency issues in the background. The probation report would be helpful given his young age,” Ms McCarthy said.
Judge Helen Boyle granted the request for a probation report.
Sentencing was adjourned until May 4 and the accused was remanded in custody until that date.
Garda Detective Jim Keane previously described the allegations in the case when the defendant unsuccessfully applied for bail and testified in Cork Circuit Criminal Court that the robbery allegedly took place after midnight on February 12 2020.
The plaintiff was a US citizen in his 60s.
It is alleged that the US national was robbed of €300 in Castle Street, Dunmanway, in what has been described as ‘an unprovoked and planned offence’.
Det Garda Keane said the injured party were socializing at Shamrock Bar in Dunmanway and during the night he left the bar with another man and went to the local AIB ATM before returning to the bar.
The detective said the two parties left the bar a second time and walked up Castle Street where it is alleged Patrick Doyle assaulted and robbed him.
“The injured party was very upset and is still receiving medical assistance following this very violent robbery,” Detective Garda Keane said.
Ms McCarthy said: ‘In his bail application he offers to reside at Coolmountain Road, Dunmanway. We have instructions that he will abide by any conditions of signing or curfew, surrendering passports or abstaining from intoxicants.
Detective Garda Keane said following this suggestion from the solicitor: ‘I would always fear he would commit further offenses if released on bail.’